MMMMMMmmMMMmmmMMm. My mom used to make this for us when my sister and I were younger. It was always SO good and it reminds of me of my middle/high school days. Though she used to just wrap the spam and rice in the seaweed, I wanted to add more flavor. The seasoning is very easy to make and you probably have all the ingredients at home!
Click here to watch the video I made!
INGREDIENTS: 7-8 rolls
- about 2 cups of rice cooked (I’m not sure exactly how much because I wasn’t measuring, but this should be plenty)
- 1 can of spam
- 3 sheets of seaweed (nori)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Cook the rice.
- Cut the spam into 7-8 equal slices and fry on a fry pan until brown on both sides. Remove spam from fry pan.
- In the same pan, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sugar. Put over low heat and constantly stir so you do not burn the glaze. Stir for about thirty seconds after it starts to boil and then take off heat
- Season cooled rice with one tablespoon of the glaze. The glaze does not have to be evenly mixed into the rice
- Place the spam into the glaze and coat on both sides
- Cut the seaweed in half hot dog style (Both strips should be long)
- Shape the rice into a oval that will fit the spam with your hands (wetting hands will make this process easier)
- Place the rice near one end of the seaweed and put a spam on top of the rice
- Wrap the seaweed around the rice and spam