I made this dish because I always saw it online but never got to try it! I was worried because I wasn’t sure what it was supposed to taste like, or even what ingredients to use because there are debates online about what is authentic carbonara and what isn’t, but it turned out SOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD. It’s pretty simple to make, and the ingredients are cheap MINUS the parmesan. WHY MUST CHEESE BE SO EXPENSIVE?
**NOTE: I tried making this again without onions because that’s the “traditional” recipe. It tasted a bit starchy and bland without that onion-y flavor.
INGREDIENTS: for 2 servings
- spaghetti noodles
- 3-4 strips of bacon
- 2 eggs
- pepper (LOTS of pepper)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese(important that it is not the kind from the shaker bottles)
- onions (NOT REQUIRED, but I liked the flavor it added)
- Boil water with teaspoon of salt and cook spaghetti noodles
- Chop the bacon into smaller pieces (not too small), and start frying
- Once the bacon has cooked thoroughly and starts to brown, remove from the pan
- Chop onions if desired and cook till translucent in the bacon grease
- Crack two eggs into a bowl and add LOTS of pepper
- Add in a little less than 1/2 cup of parmesan and combine ingredients
- Once the noodles are done cooking, start heating up the bacon/onions
- Add the spaghetti directly into the pan and start stirring. TURN HEAT OFF OR TAKE IT OFF THE STOVE.
- Slowly add the mixture, stirring constantly so that the eggs do not scramble. (Make sure your heat is off or you will have chunky eggs!)
- Add the rest of the mixture and continue to stir for a couple minutes. It is now ready to eat! You can sprinkle more parmesan but make sure to taste it first because too much parmesan makes the pasta too salty