When I was younger, I HATED yolk, raw or cooked. I hated yolk so much that I always gave it to my sister, who loved yolk and willingly took it from me. That powdery chalkiness that clogged up your throat…or the runny sliminess that coated your esophagus as it slowly went down…it was just the wrong texture no matter how it was cooked, so I never ate it.
I usually retaste food after awhile to make sure that I still don’t like it, because over the years, I have started to like foods that I didn’t like when I was younger. Some examples of things I love now are cilantro, brussels sprouts, Thai food, and obviously, eggs benedict. Some things that I think I’ll hate forever, like carrots, celery, and peas show no improvement during my retastes.
I hated eggs benedicts because the only times I ever tried them were at the Caesar’s Palace buffet in Lake Tahoe…is it strange that I remember that? Anyways, I never liked the because 1)they looked old, 2)the eggs were not cooked correctly and the yolk would be half cooked and half raw, and 3)the rest of it tasted sort of soggy. DEFINITELY not how a benedict should taste. I retried it for the first time last year when my sister was visiting from Berkeley and I took her to Bottega Louie. By the way, if you get a chance to eat there, try the Smoked Salmon Benedict. It’s delicious. I don’t really know why I ordered it that day, knowing well that I would probably hate it. However, that first bite had me hooked! It was AMAZING! And I wanted more of it without having to pay $18 every time. So I made my own rendition of it, and I don’t have to rely on Bottega for my Smoked Salmon Benedict fix. NOW IT’S YOUR TURN! 🙂
Don’t be afraid to try making this dish. It may seem a bit daunting if you haven’t poached eggs before, but it’s surprisingly simple to make!
INGREDIENTS: Makes 2 bagels
- **Note: Unlike the traditional Eggs benedict, this recipe does not use a Hollandaise sauce because it is just LOTS of butter and yolk (cholesterol overload?!), and you have the creaminess from the cream cheese already
- 2 large eggs
- 1 bagel (I don’t really like how fat and compact regular bagels are, so I get the skinny bagels which are about half the width of a normal bagel. Yes, skinny bagels exist! :D)
- cream cheese (as much or little as you want)
- red onion
- smoked salmon
- dill (optional)
- Start boiling a pot of water with about 1 1/2-2 inches of water in it and add a dash of vinegar
- Split your bagel in half and cover each side with cream cheese
- Place your smoked salmon on top of the cream cheese
- Slice your red onion into very thin slices and place some on top of the smoked salmon
- Crack each egg into a small dish
- Once your water starts to bubble, stir the water slightly and drop in an egg carefully. Add the other egg, cover the lid of the pot, and let sit for about 4 minutes until the egg whites are cooked
- Take the eggs out and drain on a paper towel, then place onto your ready made bagel
- Place some capers onto the top of your bagel, and if you want, sprinkle with dill
- ENJOY!! And let me know how it goes 🙂
**If you have never poached an egg before, it might be helpful to watch some YouTube videos on poaching eggs!